A comprehensive digital marketing audit
A digital marketing audit can prevent you from blowing your marketing budget on a poorly targeted marketing campaign. It should cover everything you're doing online, as well as some of your offline marketing activities that could be impacting your online performance.
At a minimum, it should take into account:
- Your presence on the internet - how the major search engines 'see' you and your website;
- Your website coding and technical considerations - for example, checking the page load speed, the text-to-code ratio, and find broken links and orphan pages;
- Fundamental Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) performance a strategies;
- A 'first level' cost-benefit analysis of how you're currently spending your online budget; and
- Your existing website traffic and your actual online offering - the two should match!
Develop Your Online Strategy with an Action Plan
With good metrics in hand, it's then possible to create a digital marketing strategy, including:
- Where your business 'sits' in the market;
- Your major online competition and what they've been up to;
- Your business' current online presence, visibility, and performance;
- Where your online marketing budget is being spent; and
- What you've learned from your online marketing efforts, to date.
Start Auditing Your Own Performance
A great place to start evaluating you current online performance is to see how your website ranks in the search engines. A report of the keywords you currently rank for, and being able to compare these with the ones you want to rank for, can be quite a wakeup call.